Saturday, January 07, 2012

Menu Recap Week 1, 2012

 Last Sunday was the last day of gluten in our house!  I made our last wheat flour chocolate chip "muffcake".  That's what we call muffin mix spread into a 9x13 pan like a coffee cake. :)   We have had that almost every Sunday all year, and it's our "thing."  I'm going to miss it.    For now we will most likely substitute with gluten free waffles, until I can perfect some GF baking.

A note about lunches and snacks: sometimes it looks like a lot is being served- I have one with dairy allergies, so I don't always make the others do without dairy. Typically one are two things are listed for the dairy eaters, and then there are dairy free options, or sometimes a food has a "may contain peanuts" warning and everyone but the peanut allergic child eats it. Sometimes children are just being picky, lol. Usually one person is not consuming all that is listed.  Unfortunately sometimes it's one child eating very healthy and a few children getting away with murder, lol.  (I'm looking at you, cutie-pie Jeffrey, who likes to take all the chocolate chips out of the trail mix then say he's full)

Sunday:
  • breakfast: chocolate chip "muffcake", we typically have sausage or bacon but didn't today
  • lunch: avocado, last of the leftover soup, leftover chicken on saltine "sandwiches" for the littles, chicken. Lunch after church is always very "leftover-y"
  • dinner: crock pot whole chicken, baked potato, salad
  • snacks: muffcake, veggiestix, trail mix
Monday:
  • breakfast: GF cereals with milk/rice milk**
  • lunch: apple-cinnamon rice cakes with cream cheese or sunbutter, blackberries, avocado, almonds, Faux Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
  • dinner: stir fry -- jasmine rice, ground turkey, asian style mixed frozen veggies, garbanzo beans, some extra oil
  • snacks: veggie sticks, baked lentil chips- cracked pepper flavor, sesmark savory rice crackers (we're trying different GF snacks to see what we like) :) with black bean dip (homemade), apples
Tuesday:
  • breakfast: oatmeal
  • lunch:   leftover stir-fry from yesterday, yogurt, tortilla chips/salsa
  • dinner:  baked tilapia (drizzled with oil, salt, pepper, parsley, Old Bay), french fries
  • snacks: Health Valley Rice Bran cookies with the kids homemade nutella-like spread (the cookies were "eh" but better than nothing), more chips/salsa
Wednesday:
  • breakfast: Trader Joe's GF waffles, syrup
  • lunch: leftovers (fish, baked potato, fries, salad, stir fry/rice), amaranth squares
  • dinner: soup - homemade broth, garlic, cumin, curry powder, tumeric, salt/pepper, cubed sweet potato, peas, red lentils and jasmin rice), homemade fried corn tortilla wedges in coconut oil, 
  • snacks: rice cakes, veggie stix, chocolate milk (or rice milk), amaranth squares
Thursday:

  • breakfast: GF cereal with milk/rice milk
  • lunch: leftover soup, almonds 
  • dinner: TJs corn pasta, bacon, black beans, corn, cheese for those that can have it, sauce -tossed together, chocolate milk/rice milk for dessert
  • snacks: apple slices, veggie stix, almonds
Friday:


  • breakfast: cereal? I really think it was something else...
  • lunch: our first try of gluten free bread. Eh.  Ener-g tapioca bread with sunbutter and jelly (I needed something a kid could put together)...apple slices, hmmm, I'm not sure what else.
  • dinner:  salmon patties, black olives, applesauce ...something else I can't remember.
  • snacks: ?? probably the usual.

Saturday:


  • breakfast: Kix cereal (shopping day! it's all we had left)
  • lunch:  banana with sunbutter, yogurt, strawberries
  • dinner:  chicken (crock potted with lemon, carrots, celery, spices), mashed potatoes, green beans (canned, be quiet)
  • snacks:   trail mix, chocolate milk, tortilla chips/salsa, almonds, tangerines


**just repeating for clarity that we do seem to have a very high carb, low nutrition breakfast. I know and am working on it...but we do eat lunch very early, so that is sort of like a little "kick start snack" to our morning, then we spend the rest of the day, starting at 10-10:30, eating a more balanced diet.


5 comments:

  1. How did you like the Cookie dough? I have a ton of her recipes on pinterest but havent tried any yet. I never buy canned beans. Lol!

    I have a recipe for gf bread that I am going to try this week...i will let you know how it turns out. I was not really impressed with Rudi's orginal at all :( I did make french toast out of the cinnamon raisin and that was good tho!

    I like the way you post your meals AFTER you eat them. I think I will try that this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookie dough was OK but a little weird...I think the problem was mine and not the recipe. I don't have a food processor so I tried to use a mixer, lol, and it didn't work well --the texture was off and it seemed too "beany" that way. Plus I didn't add the amount of sugar she said to (because she said it didn't need it...but I think it did!) :) I added sunbutter too instead of the peanut butter, but I would leave either out next time. I think it really *could* be a good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I am gonna try it as is and see how we like it. I cant have a lot of sugar though so I'll have the kiddos test it out ;) I think I'll need to hide the ingredients though because my 12 yr old might hurl if he knows what its made of LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pinned that cookie dough recipe on Pinterest, but haven't tried it yet. Interesting idea...I am thankful for your "review."

    I am impressed with how organized you are about your menus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jeannine! I think my menus only *look* organized because I am writing them after we eat them. The actual day to day cooking and deciding what to eat is anything but organized, especially lately. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you