Friday, January 15, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Week 2

Notice how I didn't say BOOK 2. This week we are going to practice new math: When does 1/2 + 2/3 + 1/3 + 1 + 1 = 1? When I am trying to convince myself that finishing 1/2 of one book, 2/3 of another, and 1/3 of a third book is equal to reading one whole book, because I actually watched movies of one of the books. Twice.

Hey, this is my world and I can make up the rules.

I started Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.. I just. couldn't. do it. Dropped that one half way through. A combination of a classic, wordy book and a distracted and tired brain just weren't a good combination.

So of course I learned my lesson and went on to a much different book. Pride and Prejudice! (I'm being sarcastic). I made it through 2/3 or so before I had to take it back to the library. But see, this one counts, because I watched both the BBC and the A & E movie versions of the book. ;-) I'm actually inspired to read the book again, because seeing it played out on screen has given me a deeper appreciation for what the characters were getting at with some of the dialogue, and where I missed some sarcasm.

Anyway, several half books and 2 movies later, I picked up The Resilient Child by George S. Everly. It's a quick read, but it's reading more like the start of a book than a full work. Lots of bullet points, not enough meat for me. I need someone to tell me how to do something, or at least give nice examples, when they say "do this." Then again, I'm only about half way through so that could change. I do not think I will chose this book to finish for next weeks 52 Books challenge, though. I'd like to pick something I can actually finish and review! What a concept!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you