Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It's all well and good, but how do I put this on a transcript?

I love reading our lessons out loud to my kids.  My 12yo works best that way due to the dyslexia, but even my 10yo loves for me to read her lessons to her after she has studied them awhile herself.  The best parts are all the rabbit trails we go down.  My best teaching on life and morals (other than my example, ahem, which often needs work) comes during Maggie's CLAA Catechism read aloud time - and it's often only semi-related to the lesson.

Today when I was reading to Juliet from our science encyclopedia, we talked not only about the topics - glaciers and climate - but about scientists, theory vs. fact, how your beliefs can change how you interpret facts into theories, young earth/old earth, "climate change", college and science degrees, tides, geography, map work, etc, etc...

I *do* love this.  But, pray tell, in a year when I need to start sticking this stuff on a transcript, just how DOES one say "Well, we only got through 20 pages of the text I mentioned on the transcript, but we TALKED for 319 hours on everything under the sun and so somehow covered everything"

Somehow I think that's not going to cut it.  Thoughts?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you