Saturday, January 14, 2012

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Week 2



Photobucket

Second in line in my stack of gluten-free reading was Gluten Free, Hassle Free by Marlisa Brown, RD, CDE.   Marlisa has a website at Gluten Free Easy.



Gluten Free, Hassle Free contains chapters on celiac disease and testing, the basics of getting started eating gluten free, some basic starter meal plans and foods that are generally safe (and not) when shopping, and dealing with your feelings, and important nutrition factors to remember when going gluten-free,  among others. There are extensive lists of gluten free websites and samples of diet cards in many languages (i.e. something you can take into a restaurant that describes what you can and can't eat).  The recipes do not look too finicky, but they are dairy/egg heavy so many don't work for us without substitutions -- which I hate doing, because taking an allergen free recipe and making it *more* allergen free, in my experience, leads to something not half as appetizing as the original.  YMMV.

This is not a book I plan on buying, but it would probably be great for someone who only needs to give up gluten, and who hasn't had extensive practice shopping/eating allergen free already. Unlike me. We figured out the other day that we've been cooking allergen free for almost 14 years now.

To participate or see more book review links, visit Read 52 Books In 52 Weeks.

(Standard disclaimer: my links go to Amazon and I get a tiny kickback if you buy anything. Maybe in a year I'll make enough to pay for one bag of gluten free flour, lol!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you