Thursday, January 05, 2012

Carry on, Warrior!



A friend shared this on Facebook, and I just had to pass it along:

2011 Lesson #2: Don't Carpe Diem

Glennon's blog, Momastery, is new to me also-- a treasure!

I remember a particular time when I got the "enjoy every moment, you'll miss this when it's gone" line. One of many just like it.  I was at   least 7 months pregnant, dragging one belligerent child who was having one of those shreiking-wet-noodle tantrums (you moms know the type) while trying to hold on to my diaper bag, another two bags, and keep track of my ADHD youngster ...we were at the CCD building, and two able bodied people, a man and a woman probably 15 years older than me were walking and talking with me (empty handed, mind you), noticing I was struggling and near tears, chuckling at me and telling me these are the best of times and I shouldn't forget it, I will miss this someday.  And then they added on, just wait until they are teenagers. It gets worse.  

Seriously?

You know what, I WILL NOT MISS THIS.  I will not miss strangers telling me I'm not enjoying my life enough, while what they should have done is say, "Wow, look at me standing here empty handed while you struggle, let me help you!!"

I vow today to be like the old lady in Glennon's piece, saying:

“It’s helluva hard, isn’t it? You’re a good mom, I can tell. And I like your kids, especially that one peeing in the corner. She’s my favorite. Carry on, warrior. Six hours till bedtime.”And hopefully, every once in a while, I’ll add- “Let me pick up that grocery bill for ya, sister. Go put those kids in the van and pull on up- I’ll have them bring your groceries out.”

Carry on, warriors.  Now go read her post.



3 comments:

  1. That's so great! Unfortunately, the links dont work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think her server may be having problems, because they worked for me earlier, but no longer work for me either, Sarah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! You are so right! I think people forget very, very quickly.

    I will give the link a try, but what you have written and quoted here is enough to have me nodding in agreement!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you