Friday, January 20, 2012

52 Books in 52 Weeks: Week 3

This book couldn't have come at a better time!



Made To Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food, by Lisa TerKeurst.  From the book description on Amazon:

Made to Crave is the missing link between a woman's desire to be healthy and the spiritual empowerment necessary to make that happen. The reality is we were made to crave. Craving isn't a bad thing. But we must realize God created us to crave more of him. Many of us have misplaced that craving by overindulging in physical pleasures instead of lasting spiritual satisfaction. If you are struggling with unhealthy eating habits, you can break the 'I'll start again Monday' cycle, and start feeling good about yourself today. Learn to stop beating yourself up over the numbers on the scale. Discover that your weight loss struggle isn't a curse but rather a blessing in the making, and replace justifications that lead to diet failure with empowering go-to scripts that lead to victory. You can reach your healthy weight goal -- and grow closer to God in the process. This is not a how-to book. This is not the latest and greatest dieting plan. This book is the necessary companion for you to use alongside whatever healthy lifestyle plan you choose. This is a book and Bible study to help you find the 'want to' in making healthy lifestyle choices.

I found that to be true.  This was not a "how to lose weight" book, or "diet" book, or how to *anything* really, but it did put forth the idea that our constant "must have it now" craving for certain foods is better adjusted towards God, because He is worth it.  YOU are worth eating better too.  Lysa makes the point that dieting doesn't work, but choosing better eating as a spiritual discipline can. Choosing to eat according to a plan you have set out, not giving in to temptations, can bring one closer to God. **

I truly appreciate Lisa's admission that it was hard, that some days could find her weeping on her closet floor.  Each chapter ended with discussion/reflection questions, which (ducking) I always skip, in any book like that. (I skim them.)

Overall, I recommended it for any Christian who needs to gain control of their eating habits for whatever reason.

**This has nothing to do with the book, per se, but it did make me truly thankful for the wisdom of the Catholic Church's liturgical year.   There are set periods of feasting, fasting, and in between.  If you live moderately in the in between, feast on the feast days, and fast when recommended, I find it a wonderfully healthy and balanced way of life. I mean, when I do it, of course. Most "in between" (or 'feria') days find me binging on chocolate.   *ahem*       I am a work in progress.




For more Week 3 book review links, join Robin at Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks!

1 comment:

  1. My Friday girls group talked about reading this one, and I suspect we will, but settled instead on another one called Finding Father. I have some issues with pre-judging our choice before I have given it a fair chance. I am doing battle with myself on this issue.

    I hope to read the book you have recommended with my group. It will probably end up being this fall before we get around to it, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you