Sunday, January 22, 2012

Menu Recap Week 3

Sunday:


  • breakfast: Trader Joe's gluten free waffles, maple syrup
  • lunch:  rice cakes with sunbutter/cream cheese, roast turkey deli meat (TJ's - so not too awful for you, lol), strawberries, clementines
  • dinner: soup - homemade chicken broth, jasmine rice, carrots, celery, cabbage, garlic, salt, poultry seasoning (I was looking for thyme and couldn't find any), dash of allspice...then it needed some umph so some of us added soy sauce to the broth. :)
  • snacks: clementines, bananas, strawberries, trail mix


Monday:


  • breakfast: cereal for most, I made a smoothie no one wanted to share (blackberries, kefir, kale, banana, honey)
  • lunch: leftover soup, rice cakes with sunbutter
  • dinner: tacos with corn tortillas, ground turkey, corn, black beans, salsa, lettuce, spices
  • snacks: soy ice cream, veggie stix,


Tuesday:


  • a crazy travel to doctors visits kind of day...
  • breakfast: TJ's GF waffles, maple syrup...then leftover soup soon after
  • lunch: snack food on the road - bananas, fruit snacks
  • dinner: rice with leftover taco meat, salsa, black beans, cheese for those who could eat it, black olives, some kind of veggie I can't remember
  • snacks:  trail mix, applesauce, yogurt


Wednesday:

our milk delivery day!

  • breakfast:  made chocolate chip pumpkin muffins with Jules mix.  I don't think I cooked them long enough.  GF cooking w/o eggs is surely an art form I have not yet begun to explore... they were good enough though.
  • lunch: turkey deli-meat (from TJs) roll ups, leftover rice (w/ cheese for those who can), blackberries, bananas
  • dinner: baked beans with cut up hotdogs (I did not check to see if these were totally GF...I should do that next time, as it was a hit), steamed broccoli and cauliflower.  I was surprised at how filling the family thought this was - no begging for snacks 20 minutes later.
  • snacks: cereal, blackberries, brown rice bread toasted with ghee or earth balance and a touch of cinnamon-sugar.


Thursday:

NO IDEA and it was only yesterday! LOL
For dinner we did have a stir fry: jasmine rice, shredded carrots and cabbage with garlic powder and ginger powder and a touch of sugar, and browned ground beef with soy sauce and a bit of honey, then all tossed together.

Friday:


  • breakfast: cereal for most, one had TJ's gluten free waffles (pampering her since she has a cold and doesn't like cereal much)
  • lunch:  leftover stir fry, avocado, tortilla chips and lentil chips with sour cream, apples, yogurt
  • snack:  fruit shake (rice milk, safe protein powder, frozen banana and strawberries)
  • dinner: spaghetti squash, salmon patties


Saturday:


  • breakfast: cereal
  • lunch:  corn tortillas and refried beans, tortilla chips with sour cream (yes, I need to shop...why do you ask? LOL)
  • dinner: crock potted pork roast, peas, applesauce
  • snacks:  fruit shake, milk with protein powder, rice crackers dipped in almond butter, trail mix, apples

I'm generally unsatisfied with how our meals "shook down" this week.  I blame it in part on sickness and a need to shop, but I also can't wrap my brain around how to get even more fruits and veggies into the kids and myself.   I don't think cold turkey will work. I need to find some easy, yummy, allergen safe, and especially SNACKY ways to get those fruits, veggies, proteins and especially good FAT into our diet. It's not too hard at dinner. It's just all the other meals and snacks that are lacking.  

I do know one problem is I'm not buying *enough* of things, and so I tend to get stingy. "No, you can't have an apple for snack because then they might not last the week."   Ugh.  I need to either get over that, or buy twice as much of each thing so I can generously dole it out and also eat it myself.

(I'm the worst offender for not eating the healthy alternatives so that others can have some) 

(and trust me it's not all noble and honorable of me, it's that I prefer junk, lol)


4 comments:

  1. What an amazing menu! If I wrote out my menu for everyone to see, people would be aghast and I would be ashamed. I am impressed that you are able to feed a large family with health difficulties in such an interesting and rich manner.

    And I'm honestly not just saying that. In NZ, food is very expensive, and I could not create a menu like yours. I wouldn't want to need gluten free food in this country. Not when even one small loaf of gluten free bread is almost $10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that every time we take another step in changing our menu, all the quantities of food that I buy are off and it takes me a little while to figure out how to buy enough to last the week. Of course, it is simply impossible to buy enough bananas to last an entire week in our house! I draw the line at 5 bunches. I think sunbutter is probably your friend, though, Amy. Spread that on an apple or banana, sprinkle with raisins, or just eat it off the spoon. There are also crackers you can make with sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax meal -- no nuts -- which will probably fill people up a lot more than simple carbs. And you can spread those with sunbutter, too :-) They're on my list of recipes to try (as is chicken liver pate - gathering my courage for that one), but I just haven't yet.

    Try eating bacon or sausage for breakfast to stay fuller longer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... about my last comment... I was pretty sure I had seen recipes for seed crackers without eggs, but I'm looking right now and I can't find one. So scratch the cracker suggestion. Will let you know if I ever find what I thought I saw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sarah and Angela! Angela, I think being egg free has been the hardest combo with GF, for the very reason you describe. "Hey, there's a high protein, grain free bread! Let's see what's in it! 6 eggs! Nevermind!" LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you