Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pinning It Down



Sarah at Amongst Lovely Things and Pam at Everyday Snapshots have started a great new project to encourage us all to actually *do* the things we are pinning at Pinterest.  What a novel idea! ;-)

Photobucket
This week we made these Granola Energy Balls, from this recipe originally at The Marathon Mom.


Full of protein, and yummy to boot.


So simple, you just mix up the ingredients (we substituted sunbutter for the peanut butter due to allergies), roll them into balls, and refrigerate awhile, if you have the patience. We didn't.


Yet there is just no way to make these little brown balls look good on camera, lol.


They look even less appetizing here, being dipped in leftover popped amaranth...but it added a nice texture and taste. 

You haven't lived until you've popped your own amaranth.  ;-) I recommend a much larger pot than she used in the linked video, unless you want to sweep down the stove and floor when you are done.  A few tablespoons of amaranth in a super hot pot, two shakes and they are all popped, then dump it out and start over.  Too much and it burns in my experience, even with stirring.

So that is my "pin it down" for today!  Join the crew over at Pam's this week for the Mr. Linky and more great bloggers Pinning It Down.


8 comments:

  1. Great idea (and actually I think they look better in the amaranth, lol- less like, well...). Looks like a great snack to have on hand in the fridge. My kids would enjoy making these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Sarah, I thought the amaranth looked like kitty litter, which kind of reinforced the negative "visual metaphor" :-P They tasted really good though, and looked less like...well, you know... in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm looks interesting. I bet they were yummy though. Kitty litter indeed. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like no-bake cookies, and had a recipe once upon a time that was full of protein. It's a good idea, Amy!

    And thank you for stopping by to encourage my fledgling knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I wish we could try these - we have a peanut allergy in the family. They remind me of a snack I used to have as a child though and I really liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, you probably won't see this, but we also have a peanut allergic child so we used sunbutter. They were very good that way. (I'm going to edit my original post to say so)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have those pinned- I was hesitant to make them being unsure of the the taste. We'll have to go ahead and give them a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you