Monday, February 06, 2012

52 Books in 52 Weeks - Week 5



Photobucket


I see I'm getting a wee bit behind here!

Last week's book for the 52 week challenge was Extreme Makeover: Women Transformed by Christ, Not Conformed to the Culture by Teresa Tomeo




From the Amazon book description:

Popular radio host Teresa Tomeo knows from experience that the self-image of American women is being distorted by pop culture. With its emphasis on youth, physical beauty, and sexuality, the secular media is encouraging women--and girls--to see themselves primarily as sex objects. 
A professional TV and radio journalist, Tomeo pulls together the latest research on social behavior and trends in order to demonstrate that women are harming themselves and their chances for true happiness by adopting the thoroughly modern, sexually liberated lifestyle portrayed in magazines and movies. Packed with not only persuasive statistics but also powerful personal testimonies, Extreme Makeover shows that it is not the slogans of the sexual revolution and the women's liberation movement that free and dignify women, but the beautiful teachings of the Catholic Church.


I feel a little too beat up after the last week or so of news regarding Komen, PP, Obama's requiring Catholic institutions to go against their consciences, etc, to get into this one too deeply here. I do recommend that Catholics and non-Catholics alike read this book.  She was preaching to the choir here, however, as I had already "pull out of the media" years ago.  Seriously, it's hard to see just how blinded you are until you stop reading women's magazines, stop watching commercial TV, etc.

For more reviews (and better! I am sure! LOL) visit Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks!


1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great book, and I must look out for it. I've read something similar by a Jweish preist, I cant recall what it was called. I think it would be good if we could have a secular version for those people who might be put off by a religious bias, because I think the message is so important.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you