Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Is it too early...

...to call our gluten free experiment a colossal flop?

We've been gluten free since January 2.  So that's 38 days? Five weeks.

It hasn't been too hard. We've replaced sandwiches with leftovers, and cut down on things like waffles, pasta, cookies, muffins, etc - using gluten free replacements when we do indulge.  I'm not saying it would be "easy" to keep this up forever, but do-able.

However, we have seen NO changes in us. Seriously.

OK, I take that back. I've seen one change small weird change for the better in me, and one thing that may be coincidental, but is a negative. The one weird positive thing is that I don't get a rash when I shave anymore.   That's it.   The negative thing is a female thing I won't really get into.

My son's rheumatoid arthritis is still the same, despite upping his medication at the same time!  My daughter still is losing hair.  I still have anxiety attacks.  ADHD still around.  Everything I mentioned in my first post as an "issue" I wanted to see helped by this has not changed one iota.

I know I should probably give it a little more time.  And perhaps we should go entirely grain free.

But...ummmm...no.

Without eggs, dairy, peanuts, and potentially all nuts but almonds, I cannot conceive of doing that long term in any shape or form.  I'm sure it's just "me," or "us and our situation," but I just don't see it happening. Nor do I see dh and the kids liking it one bit.  There is something to be said for quality of life, I think, if giving up half of what we eat doesn't give us twice as good a life.

I know, I sound like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

Perhaps I am.

*sigh*

5 comments:

  1. Wow, seems like you would see some improvement. I'm sorry to hear that...but I wouldn't continue too much longer if no improvement. I'm actually happy for you!

    If you do go back to wheat, though, I would try really hard to do all organic/non GMO grains, as those pesticides are really bothersome. "Unhealthy Truth" and "How the Government Got in Your Backyard" explains a few things.

    As far as Jeffrey, I've read several places that the nightshade family of foods really cause inflammation (I find it the same with me), and those with R.A. should avoid these foods. I just read through a book called "Pain Free in 6 weeks" that talks about that connection.

    It isn't that hard, though, is it? Once wheat is really out, I haven't craved it much at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being happy for me Jennifer! I just now realized it is a potentially Very Good Thing to get wheat back, isn't it!

    I was thinking about trying to go organic AND traditionally prepared (i.e. sourdough/soaked) if we did go back to wheat. At least at first, as a trial.

    I've wondered about nightshades. Tomato has seemed to bother some of my children... that's definitely something to look into. Hopefully if wheat is back, giving up tomato, peppers, and (*gulp*) potato (and more, I know) won't be too hard.

    *I* feel weird after eating tomato - and my nursing babies always reacted. It would make sense then to try that.

    I haven't craved wheat at all, either. Even sitting here thinking about yummy things I used to eat. I miss the *texture*, but don't crave the food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that after 5 weeks you would be starting to see some change, although you'd need to keep going to see anything really obvious. However, if gluten was a problem you would have seen detox effects by now. Sounds like gluten wasn't the culprit and its back to the drawing board.

    I'm sorry about this, but it was good that you tried. You certainly don't sound like you're having a tantrum, you come across as more perplexed than anything.

    I wish I knew enough about nutrition to help. All the things I read last year told me that wheat was bad for you, that you should live on plants and meat, and include fat in your diet. The paleolithic diet. It's almost impossible to do when you have young children, because they need to be filled up and you can't always be feeding them steaks. But I do know fruit and veges are so helpful for many issues, eg avocado is a miracle food, blueberries, etc. Expensive, though.

    You have always taken such great care with your children's diets. Maybe the solution doesn't actually lie there. Maybe you need to look at homeopathic and green remedies - yoga for ADHD, massage, flower remedies, etc. I don't know if they will help either?

    I'm not surprised you have anxiety attacks considering the health issues you deal with. I can only imagine the pain of watching your children suffer. I wish you could find a helpful source which could help you explore all your options.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think you would see some sort of changes in that amount of time. I guess the real kicker would be if you re-introduce wheat and negative things happen. Sometimes the positives are more subtle, you know?
    And I have to tell you, I am jealous that eliminating wheat has been fairly easy for you. For me, it has been a real struggle. Practically everything I love is wheat based (I've always been a bread and pasta girl) and I find the substitutes uninspiring to say the least.
    But, like Jen says, this is good news for you! You don't have to give it up! Hooray!!! Now go eat a piece of pie for me, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry Theresa! Trust me when I say I am truly surprised that I do not crave it. I have had many, many times in the last 14 years when I have had to give up many multiple kinds of foods, and it was pure torture. I do understand where you are coming from.

    And thank you Sarah for your kind words and advice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you