Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mathy

This is how I know my son got my husband's brain genes... he's four, and this is how the conversation went at 7 AM ....

Jeffrey: "Mom, if you have 'one-two' and another 'one-two' (he couldn't remember the word 12, lol) does that make twenty-two?"

Me: (talking to him as if he's four, lol, and not understanding that he was doing multi-digit math in his head)  "No, to write the number 22 you use a two and another two right next to each other."

 I'm writing in the air and trying to explain and re-explain what I mean. I finally realize he meant "twelve" and "twelve" and tell him so.

Jeffrey: (looking at me as if I'm a little daft)" Nooooo... I mean if you put all those things together. Does 12 and 12 make 22?"

Me: "No, 12 plus12 is 24."

Jeffrey: "Oh!  So 12 and 12 is two too many.  Then you want 11 and 11. That will make 22."
(it's much funnier in his baby speech!)

Me: ((wow. he's four. i'm in so much trouble))

The End.

3 comments:

  1. Heh. Very good work, Jeffrey! It sounds like he's got a solid grasp of the concepts, even if the math vocabulary isn't quite there yet.

    ~Luke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he definitely got the math genes but not the language genes - which, honestly, I am quite thankful for, having 4 girls. Enough talking already!!

      Delete
  2. What a smarty-britches! So cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you