Monday, August 20, 2012

It's my soapbox and I'll cry if I want to


I just can't seem to wrap my brain around a 7 Quick Takes, or a Daybook, or any other "insert your info here" meme ... my days are defying compartmentalization lately.  Well, if by "compartmentalization" you mean "ready for the men in the white coats to put me in a nice little padded cell" then, why YES I can do compartmentalization. ;-)

The nightstand bookstack just saw the close of 7 by Jen Hatmaker that everyone seems to be talking about. I was lucky my library had it - it was a quick read, and entertaining.  For the average person, I bet it was convicting also.  I in *no* way want to sound high and mighty or holier-than-thou, but I'm beyond what she did in her drive to rid her life of excess ... except I have no book contract nor 10000 adoring facebook and blog fans.  I guess that's a good thing.  Anyway, it was a good book but I spent the whole time reading seething in jealousy and anger. Nice, huh.

It's not the fault of the book, just my life lately. I'm in a daze... an angry, jealous daze.



A week and a half ago, my mom almost died.

Have I said this already?  I keep mulling it over in my head, needing to talk to someone. Needing to process. I feel like it's all I talk about, but really I probably haven't said it outloud much at all.   She was put on oxygen due to restrictive lung disease, and it was turned up too high, poisoning her body with carbon dioxide that she couldn't blow off.  We didn't know *what* was going on, we thought it was just the disease progressing so we didn't push hard enough to get her help. I feel like God kept her heart beating until we got our act together and got her hospitalized.  It just looked like she was tired. SO TIRED.  But that was the poisoning... and eventually the high CO2 just tells your heart and lungs they aren't needed anymore, and they just stop and you "go to sleep" - never to wake up.

Now we know. And now thanks to some wonderful doctors and nurses, my mom is home and doing well, considering.

I spent the last two weeks visiting my mom, helping my dad at home, being his emotional support, thinking my mom was going to die, and wondering just when the tables will turn so that I can get some lovin' too.  Not like I want some tragedy to happen to me, no sir! But I don't think a person needs "tragedy" to have some friends show up and love on them, right??

This really is my soapbox.
The last few (umm, 10? 12?) years have been weird.  Many friends/acquaintances moved, a few "fell away" as we started homeschooling and their kids didn't so they went back to work, we left a co-op due to lack of time and emotional energy to teach other people's children and deal with the political mumbo jumbo.  Yada yada yada... and I'm left with ONE friend.  One friend in a big city/suburb where everyone seems to have grown up with everyone else or is related to everyone else, and I don't know how to make new friends.  Now this one friend also seems to be moving on.  I thought we were "tight" - now, not so much.  Something happened the other day (that I won't get into here) that was not at all big on the surface, but a symptom of a much bigger thing in my mind.  Even if it was a misunderstanding, it stacks up with a lot of other evidence that  .... that I now have no friends.  Real friends.  Not one of a hundred friends on a busy schedule.  I don't wanna be penciled in and crossed out when activity number 27 gets in the way.  I want The Council (you'll get it if you read 7.)

Hence the anger and seething jealousy.  SO PRETTY, I tell ya. My soul needs help.

Having only one friend stunk (a busy, almost never see each other friend at that), having no friends, when I really really need friends... just sucks. Sorry.

I mean, c'mon, my mom just came {} this close to death, and I want a hug, dagnabbit. I want to cry and have someone still like me the next day.  I don't want that to happen and then just when I'm the downest ... ((OK I just deleted all the details, but it involves thanking God that it looked like my prayers were answered, when really they weren't and it was even worse than I thought)).

My poor husband.  He gets the brunt of all this.  He deserves better.

This post was supposed to be about a bunch of different things, but it seems kind of wrong to talk about math manipulatives after spilling my guts, so I'll wrap up this whine and dairy-free cheese fest and let you all get back to your lives.

*as you all breathe a huge sigh of relief* :)

P.S. Don't tell me to pray for friends...I have been, for years. It's going about as well as my prayers for a new home and healing for my family's health problems.  As in, the more I pray, the worse it gets.  I *get it*, spiritually, but still.  Ugh.

12 comments:

  1. (((Hugs))) I so much wish I could be there in real life to give you the hugs for real. I would love to be your friend (although of course you might not want to be mine!)

    I am so sorry about your Mum, and just thank God the problem was discovered in time. How unbelievably scary!! (((More hugs)))

    I'm sorry about the friend too. It's hard when you realise that all the little signs along the way which made you nervous are actually pointing out *this is not a real friend*. :-( :-( How many of us women have been there? And been hurt?

    I would not tell you to pray for friends. I would suggest maybe if you are praying for something and it doesn't happen or it gets worse, you are praying the wrong prayer. Maybe pray to God that your heart may be open more and more to the feeling of his friendship.? Because I believe God manifests these things in our lives. But who am I to say anything? I am deeply suspicious of friendship, I have been hurt too often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah, you are so kind. I agree with your last paragraph, and I've prayed that God take the place of my friends in my heart, to feel His love... and... nothing. It's OK, God can do what He wants with me, it's just been a bad couple of weeks (months, years) to be lonely.

    I always fear for these kinds of posts, where I leave out so much more than I say, that I'm not ever very clear about what is going on in my mind. I don't think my comments do much to clear it up, either, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And one of these days I'll remember to "reply" to your comments instead of just commenting after you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could be there in person for you. I'd give you that hug and you could cry all you wanted and I'd still be there.
    And I know what you mean because I don't have a single friend (IRL) myself. It's lonely, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa, and I'm sorry you are feeling this way too. Usually, I can deal a little better. This week? Not so much. My mom, the friend thing, dh waiting to hear if he was laid off (he wasn't, yay!!) and losing a house around the corner that we were possibly going to buy for my parents... all just *too much*. Thanks so much for the cyber hug and shoulder. Right back atcha.

      Delete
  5. I know virtual hugs don't count the same as real hugs, but here's one anyway!!! {{{{{}}}}}} If I had been there in person I would have given you a better one :-) I'm *really* happy to hear that your mom is feeling better... and also that your dh wasn't laid off. That's definitely stress enough for a soapbox.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Angela! I appreciate the hug. It's so nice to know that people do care, even if you're all a zillion miles away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, I'm so sorry. (I've read your blog for years, but hardly ever comment) I am so glad that your mom pulled hteough alright. Gosh, so scary!

    I don't have in person, real-life friends either. i used to. Since my brain tumor they have all fell away. It is very lonely. I turn to God; it is still lonely. I have made dear long-distance friends through my blog, and theat is a belssing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellie, for your kind words ... and I am so sorry you are feeling the same pain, especially under your circumstances. Hugs and prayers to you!!

      Delete
  8. Oh Amy! I count myself so blessed that I got to meet you only one time, but my sister and I always talked about how wonderful it would be to have you closer. I am so sorry that things are tough right now. I am sending you lots and lots of prayers and hugs. I am not good with words, but I know what you are feeling and want so much to make it better. God bless you, Amy, and your beautiful family. And you know what? That "friend" is totally missing out on such an amazing woman in her life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fuzzy! It's so good to see you in my little space here. :) I was blessed to meet you and Jennifer too. Your words are so kind - SO kind! I wish we lived closer too, but maybe we see each other again soon anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Amy, I hardly ever read blogs these days, but I was just indulging myself and came across this post. I'm so sorry to hear of all the suffering you've gone through. I've also had a very nasty recent experience with a friend, culminating in her cutting off all contact with me and spreading lies about me. So hurtful, so baffling -- and certainly a cross.

    A big hug from across the Pond.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you