Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Mothering and Giftedness

This is something I have avoided writing about for many reasons. One, I don't want to be seen as bragging. Two, I have a feeling it's going to come across as a flat out lie -- "what? She thinks she's gifted?  Ha! I've *read* her blog!". And three, although I was in gifted programs at school, etc, I was surrounded by people who were even smarter than I was-- we're talkin' double-timing at Harvard and Julliard smart.  So I feel like loser and a fake.  Wait, I forgot one. Having five children and a family with various issues, combined with hormones, lack of sleep, and anemia has seriously messed with my brain. As my Dad once ( jokingly) said, "Amy, you used to be smart!" Unfortunately, all the other markers for giftedness remain. More on that later, maybe.

Now that my youngest is reaching school age and is astounding me with his math abilities, I'm realizing that in my haze from dealing with other important issues, I have been ignoring the fact that I think at least two of my kids are gifted, too. It would explain a lot about their behavior! :)

All that to say, I want to start showing the "real me" and share thoughts and articles on giftedness in adults and children.  Not to brag in any shape or form, but to help other gifted moms realize they are not alone in the things they deal with. I know you are out there!  I'm sure  there is no lack of giftedness among my readers.

I never feel qualified to give advice, so I will be linking to other people and sharing my own personal experience instead of a how-to or strictly informational.  I'm sure it will come across as inanely navel gazing, but oh well. You all know that this is my "cheaper than therapy" place to come and whine, right?


8 comments:

  1. I used to be smart, too! LOL! No kidding! Like you, my giftedness was always overshadowed by my older brother who was even smarter (supposedly, though I'm not sure I buy it!LOL!) so I know that frustrating feeling.And I know the feeling of it being hard to talk about without coming off as superior. But since we have children (two of mine) who have inherited our brains, it needs to be talked about, doesn't it? I look forward to hearing what you have to say and joining the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear your thoughts, Theresa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy (and Therese) you both may well enjoy reading the blog of a fellow Aussie mum, Ingi (she is lovely) who has gifted children, in fact her son is twice gifted. she shares the challenges this brings
    http://ingidefyinggravity.blogspot.com/

    I do wonder about one of my son's, would be interested in knowing more about the 'markers'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin, I will check her out!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you will be writing about this. I used to be smart, but my daughter got my brain. And then some. I'm glad you're going to be discussing it because I can count on you to be straight-forward, honest, no shilly-shallying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very interesting! Looking forward to it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds interesting, Amy!
    (This is Jennifer, but the comment section will not approve me in any form this morning.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, thank you for tackling this. Been there, and I know how hard it is to write about.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from you